Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Profoundly lazy, helpless and/or just plain stupid...

(Previously posted.)

If you approach me with a problem, it is in my nature to try to find a solution. I am a solution-oriented person. I don’t view problems as being negative… I see them as puzzles to be solved by finding a resolution that most closely achieves a desired outcome.

Now…I may have mentioned a time or two that I’m not people-oriented. I would interact with others more, but I don’t want to. Unfortunately, this has resulted in some unforeseen consequences in that my co-workers and family seem to have found a way to use my nature against me as a means of socializing with me. (Either that, or they are profoundly helpless, lazy and/or just plain stupid.)

By way of example, sometime near the end of August, I purchased a Kindle for my mom’s birthday. I had given one to my dad for his birthday, but he wouldn’t let her touch it. In order to even the playing field between them, I thought she deserved her own. In retrospect, maybe I should have just sent flowers.

Mom received the package from Amazon in a timely fashion and I was thanked profusely. Of course, once again I had to listen to the exact same speech I hear every year about how I shouldn’t spend my money on them. On the heels of that lecture, she asked if it would hurt my feelings if she exchanged it for the Nook. I assured her that it would not (the first of many mistakes to come), and that she should get exactly what she wanted. In retrospect, I should have told her that if she didn’t keep that Kindle, it would devastate me past any hope for recovery.

9/7/11 from Mom: Changed my mind. I really like the Kindle. Will keep it.

9/7/11 from El: Well please only keep it if that is what YOU want to do. I would much rather you have what you would really like. It doesn't matter to me if it is the Kindle or Nook or something else.

9/8/11 from Mom: As for the Kindle, I hate to ask but what did you pay for mine? I think the Nook is about the same but not sure. I have 30 days to change it without losing anything on it.

9/8/11 from El: I don't remember what I paid…you can look at Amazon and see. It was the one with 3G.

9/9/11 from Mom: Where is my return label to send my Kindle back to Amazon?

9/9/11 from El: Mommy, I told you... You need to log into your amazon account and click on return a gift.

9/9/11 from Mom: Oh, honey! I am so sorry. I did not read that part of your email! I will take care of it.

9/10/11 from Mom: My printer at home is not working and neither is the one at the office! Now what can I do? It should be fixed in day or two.

9/10/11 from El: I will mail you the return label today.

9/15/11 from Mom: I’m sending out the box to return the Kindle to Amazon in the morning. I would like to get this Nook: Best e-ink reader –CNET, 06/01/2011 * Incredibly easy–just touch and read * Ultra-light, thin and the longest battery life * Most advanced E Ink® 6" display w/ crisp fonts * Expert recommendations and fun social features

9/15/11 from El: Okay… I’ll go ahead and order it.

9/16/11 from Mom: Well don’t order it just yet. I think I may want the color Nook after all.

9/16/11 from El: I already ordered it! Okay, you will just need to return it when it arrives.

9/17/11 from Mom: Did you say that I could exchange the Nook for the colored one after I receive it and send it back? When do you think it will come? How should I send it back when i do receive it?

9/18/11 from El: It should be there by Wednesday. You can either call (number omitted) for return authorization or take it to a B and N store. There is one located at (address omitted).

9/19/11 from Mom: But will they ask for your order number or anything?

9/19/11 from El: Just take the box. Everything you need will be in there. Tell them you want to exchange it.

9/20/11 from Mom: Well, it is just so far to drive to the store to exchange it. Can’t I just send it back to Amazon?

9/20/11 from El: Mommy, you are not listening! I bought it from B and N. You can’t return it to Amazon because I did not buy it from Amazon. Please… just send everything to me. When my credit card is credited from Amazon and from B and N, I will order you the color Nook.

9/20/11 from Mom: Okay. I will pay you the difference.

9/21/11 from Mom: I received the Nook today. Your daddy took it over to the store and exchanged it for the color Nook. I just love it.

:::THUD:::

It was the above interaction that made me realize that I had been had. My mother is one of the most intelligent people I know. There is NO WAY she needed my help with any of this. She just wanted my attention because I go months without calling and only email in response to her emails. Next year… she is getting a check.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home